Re: FreeType and patents [Re: further notes on using Pango]

From: Dom Lachowicz (doml@appligent.com)
Date: Mon Apr 29 2002 - 11:38:12 EDT

    Our own Robert Wilhelm (row) was a founder of Freetype and could be of
    some use here, maybe. He's been surprisingly silent on the issue :)

    The only patented bits in the TrueType spec, IIRC, relate to true-type
    hinting at small font sizes (<10pt). Freetype has an actual
    implementation which parses and honors those bits of data to produce
    awesome looking glyphs at small font sizes. It also has an auto-hinter
    which doesn't pay attention to those specific bits and produces
    less-than-stellar looking glyphs.

    This is all determined at compile-time. If we were to release our own
    binaries where *we* shipped freetype *statically* linked into the
    binary, we would probably be safest disabling the code that breaches
    apple's patent, unless we would have to setup our download in a country
    where Apple's patent isn't valid/honored.

    However, many linux/unix distros ship versions of freetype which have
    the hinting code enabled. We could easily ship an AbiWord which
    dynamically links against freetype.so or freetype.dll, and let the
    packager sort things our (i.e. on win32) or the user (i.e. on linux).
    This is the route that I would recommend - we avoid patent issues while
    still getting great results. But then again, I don't have too much
    sympathy for people who complain that fonts look crappy at <10 points.

    Dom