Re: FreeType and patents [Re: further notes on using Pango]

From: Tomas Frydrych (tomas@frydrych.uklinux.net)
Date: Fri Apr 26 2002 - 09:55:21 EDT

    > Where does Apple hold these patents?
    From the docs that accompany the latest stable release, I
    understand USA and Japan, but that might not be accurate -- the
    FreeType document is not certain about this and it is dated 1999.

    > To what extent can we turn this on and then have a HUGE DISCLAIMER that
    > Americans and others with crazy patent laws may not use it. According
    > to FreeType.org some distributions turn it on by default.
    It needs to be pointed out, that this does not need to be turned on at all,
    FT has its own algorithms for dealing with the patented issues, and from
    what I understand, they work quite nicely (perhaps Leonard would be a
    better person to comment on this). But I think if it comes to it, we should not
    provide official releases with the patented stuff enabled.

    Tomas

    tomas@frydrych.net / www.frydrych.net
    PGP keys: http://www.frydrych.net/contact.html