Re: RFP: use gnu gettext

From: Andrew Dunbar (hippietrail@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Apr 29 2002 - 23:35:51 EDT

     --- Karl Ove Hufthammer <huftis@bigfoot.com> wrote: >
    Dom Lachowicz <doml@appligent.com> wrote in

    > > *) Stops re-duplication of strings
    >
    > Some strings probably *need* to be duplicated. I'm
    > thinking of
    > strings which are identical in English, but not in
    > the target
    > language. I have also localized Mozilla, and there I
    > found several
    > such strings, e.g. 'Forward' (which could mean the
    > opposite of
    > 'back' or 'to send on'). Such strings are sure to
    > crop up in
    > AbiWord too, sooner or later.

    I was always suspicious that gettext did this. Is
    there a way around it? Also we need to fix the
    problem where multiple %s need to be in a different
    order between English and the localized language.
    Will gettext help with this?

    Andrew Dunbar.

    =====
    http://linguaphile.sourceforge.net http://www.abisource.com