Re: Better than isOnScreen.

From: Tomas Frydrych (tomas@frydrych.uklinux.net)
Date: Thu Aug 01 2002 - 14:59:05 EDT

    > AbiWord really needs to have all it's blocks formatted all the time.
    > If we just format the blocks currently on screen we'll get into
    > problems as Dom's crasher bugs testify. In any case we can do much
    > better by utilizing a technique similar to our spellchecking code.

    I discovered the need for everything formated too, we could perhaps
    get away with everything up to and inclusive the visible stuff, but it
    would create complications. The isOnScreen() method was really
    intended for screen updating, particularly through the
    redrawUpdate().

    > What we want are a queue of dirty blocks (or fl_ContainerLayouts) that
    > get formatted as quickly as possible. This is simply a matter of
    > creating a queue data structure that is filled whenever the
    > markAsDirty method is called. We also need to start a background
    > reformatter as soon as the queue is non empty. This runs in the
    > gtkIdle() time ASAP just like our spellchecking code.

    I think this is a great idea.

    Tomas