Not ignoring Alan's previous message

From: E . A . Zen (ericzen@ez-net.com)
Date: Thu Aug 01 2002 - 17:10:45 EDT

    According to my threading, that would be the CD Abi idea.

    If this were done, I think it should be like StarOffice, you know, where it has a folder for Solaris, Linux, Windows and Mac.

    Additionally, considering the fact we're talking about 650Megs, why stop at JUST AbiWord? The CD could have most of the GNOME Office (since most of these have elsewhere ports anyhow)? This would include base libraries, like expat and pango, as well as the applications, like abiword and gnumeric. Along with documentation, the ideals of Open Source and Free Software could be explained, thus spreading the concept to far more people. I think when each of the applications have lapped over a version, like abi going 2.0 (points to dom's missive), this would be of great interest to many. If only we had AOL-like abilities to just send CD's to "POBox holder."

    We include a message like "Please feel free to make copies and share this CD with others." Save for the message sent to the script kiddies that says, "!7'5 B4D 4 U5 !f j00 /\/\4K3 c0p!35 0v 7h!5, 50 d0/\/'7 d0 !7, 0R 3153!!!" The latter will spread through playgrounds faster than the plague through Europe (or Windows through North America). On that thought, it would be wise to send specific copies to educational institutions.

    The compartmentalisation, small footprint, ease of use and cost effectiveness of the GNOME Office applications would be a benefit to many.

    Here's to conquering the world, one Abi-the-Ant hill at a time!