Re: cursor blinking problem

From: Patrick Lam (plam@plam.lcs.mit.edu)
Date: Fri Aug 02 2002 - 14:19:31 EDT

    On Fri, Aug 02, 2002 at 02:34:05PM +0100, Tomas Frydrych wrote:

    > We have got a problem in the mechanism that blinks the cursor. The
    > blinking is done via a timer and if we happen to be in another timer
    > context, the auto-update gets blocked until the timer-triggered code
    > finishes execution, and so the cursor does not blink.
    >
    > A current example of this is the background spell checker. To avoid
    > the cursor disappearing while doing the background checking, on
    > entry into fl_BlockLayout::checkSpelling() we flick the cursor off and
    > then flick it on again just before we leave. This results in erratic
    > blinking since the interval of the blink is dictated by the time it takes
    > to spellcheck the current block, which is considerable for long
    > blocks and virtually null for short blocks (load a reasonably long
    > document, say 50 pages, and watch the behaviour of the cursor
    > immediately after the loading of the document finishes).
    >
    > Now, I could improve the code in fl_BlockLayout::checkSpelling() so
    > that it does not flick the cursor more often than every 500 ms, but
    > that seems like treating the symptoms, not the problem. It would
    > seem to me that the proper solution would be to have the cursor-
    > blinking timer running in a separate thread, so that it does not get
    > blocked by other timer events in the main thead. This way we could
    > remove all the cursor-handling stuff from the spellchecking code,
    > and would not need to worry about the cursor if/when in the future
    > we implement other timer-driven stuff.

    Sounds good. More specifically, the fv_Cursor class should have a
    lock and a boolean (which is protected by the lock) indicating whether
    the cursor is on or off. The fv_Cursor class should also have a thread
    with a timer; its only purpose in life is to set the boolean every 500ms.

    We don't strictly need an fv_Cursor class, we just need a bool 'n' lock
    in fv_View, along with a few methods: one for the main thread routine, and
    one for the timer callback. If it's in another thread, it doesn't even
    need a timer callback, just a sleep(500); this may be ideal.

    I would be willing to implement this tomorrow if you don't want to do it,
    tf.

    pat