Re: cursor blinking problem

From: Mike Nordell (tamlin@algonet.se)
Date: Sat Aug 03 2002 - 04:52:42 EDT

    Patrick Lam wrote:

    > The fv_Cursor class should also have a thread
    > with a timer; its only purpose in life is to set the boolean every 500ms.

    For X this might be fine, but for Win32 I still think we should change the
    code to use the system provided caret (that takes care of blinking the
    cursor, making sure there is only one instance of it on the desktop and so
    on). I'd go even further to say that this is such a good way of handling it
    that the other implementations should at least consider this design. This
    also suggests that the cursor class shouldn't be fully implemented in XP
    code.

    This would bring a couple of good things for all platforms:
    For Win32 it would mean that any cursor implementation bugs on the other
    platforms don't reach Win32. The Win32 code would also be smaller.

    For the other platforms it would mean that they get an design that is tried
    and proven (there just aren't any of these problems on Windows), and if the
    windowing system they use happens to provide a cursor/caret service they
    could make use of that instead of reinventing the wheel yet another time.

    > We don't strictly need an fv_Cursor class,

    We don't strictly need abstraction or encapsulation either, but still people
    think this is A Good Thing (tm).

    /Mike - please don't cc