Re: AWN thoughts, questions, suggestions.

From: Alan Horkan (horkana@tcd.ie)
Date: Wed Aug 14 2002 - 20:09:23 EDT

    I like email clients that wrap at 80 characters. I would be surprised if
    Balsa did not have this option somewhere.

    On Wed, 14 Aug 2002, Eric Zen wrote:

    > Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 16:02:27 -0500 From: Eric Zen

    > Personally, I didn't find the irc to appealing, but some interesting

    IRC is a huge great big waste of time, but it has instant feedback that
    you just dont get with email.
    Ill try and make an effort to bring important stuff back on list, i think
    most of the important devlopement stuff gets brough back on. Maybe not
    stuff like conversations about obscure XML dialects (US Congress XML see
    bugzilla) or other bits and pieces but the important stuff gets repeated
    and there are a few of use who move threads from the dev list to user list
    or whatever is appropriate.

    > discussions do occur there that never even get an allusion to in the
    > threads.

    > Your reply, however, did remind me about one other thing I wanted to
    > bring up in the original but didn't remember soon enough: Your POW
    > thoughts.

    Personally i always liked a scale of 1 to 5 but it really depends on how
    meaningful each number on the scale is, like cinema reviews for example
    * crap dont waste your time
    ** not great,
    *** mediocre some people will like it, see it on video
    **** good
    ***** must see

    but what this tells you, besides the fact that i should get some sleep is
    that the scale does not really matter so much as clear description and
    a well targeted POW. Language work is impossible if you dont know the
    language no matter how good a programmer you are. Also some people are
    familiar with the import and export code but not other areas of abiword.
    well targeted POWs are a lot better.

    In Doms house he made a quick fix to the DocBook importer. It was fairly
    easy for him, but for me it required recognising that the proposed
    solution was correct then using cvs and an editor making a patch and
    applying it. there are definately some non critical things that
    developers could offer as a POW and give intstructions and if they dont
    get taken up they could then be fixed later.
    the downside is that it is nearly 1+1/2 times the work, but the upside is
    getting people involved and building a community which is what Abiword
    lives or dies by.

    Being able to post a POW to one or both mailing list and have an easy way
    to copy that to thew website and or bugzilla (meta bug) would be nice.

    > I was hoping to get more feedback in general on AWN, since I was sure
    > everyone had one thought or another (even though most of it seems
    > humour related).
    >
    > Side note: Abimoz explains the OEOne wordprocessor; I was wondering...
    > I wish OEOne would just make it a desktop/WM-esk like utility (easier
    > for installink, dah)
    >
    > What I really want to hear is what other ideas people have been
    > considering (other than mentioning nuking irac is tasteless).

    i laughed my ass off ... mostly at the very serious person who was
    morolising and complaining
    but then i read Jonny The Homicidal Maniac, Squee, Filler Bunny, Happy
    Noodle Boy and other such non family entertainment (by the same freakish
    mind that gave us Invader Zim)
    and have totally lost faith in the political establishment and almost
    everything else.

    > It would be nice if ideas invovling extra scripting or extensive
    > writing were brought up before the weekend....POW's too

    a friend told me to talk the guy who does kernel traffic and find out how
    he manages to digest so much content into something managable.

    Ha ha ha

    I need sleep ...

    Ha ha ha