Re: Commit: AbiMagick graphics class sort-of works

From: Dom Lachowicz (doml@appligent.com)
Date: Fri Aug 16 2002 - 23:43:03 EDT

    Hi Martin,

    Well, the SVG output outputs to "Normal" svg, complete with paths, text
    blocks, graphics states, etc... The images I embedded inside the doc
    were rasterized, but that's unavoidable. I can't speak for PDF or PS as
    I haven't tried writing to them yet, but I assume that they're the same
    as SVG since they're all vector based formats. NB: the SVG output
    doesn't work quite right, and may be our bug or a bug in IM.

    I'm working on GnomePrint to produce a SVG output backend. GnomePrint
    already has a GnomePrintPixbuf output backend - you just have to
    g_signal_connect to the right signal.

    We should not abandon our printing code for this. AFAIK, there are
    quite a few limitations:

    Font backend is static and based on freetype and not XFT
    Doesn't integrate/spool to printer devices, files, et. al. nicely
    Is slow as all heck
    Isn't visually correct, at least not yet (this is our problem, mostly,
    and I will fix this)

    I'm thinking that once Chema finishes up removing the Gnome
    dependencies from GP and has it working over XFT for the font metrics,
    we can require GP for all of our Unix printing needs. This will give us
    fabulous results with minimal effort.

    Anyway, it's Friday night and I need to go back out. My ears are still
    ringing from the Tool concert :^)

    Dom