Re: Installation directory confusion

From: Mark Gilbert (webmaster@dofty.zzn.com)
Date: Mon Aug 19 2002 - 20:26:48 EDT

    This isn't really true. afaict auto* does it the traditional way of
    putting the binary in execprefix or prefix/bin, and data in the
    dataprefix or prefix/share/AbiSuite.

    So with --prefix=/usr I got /usr/bin/AbiWord_d + wrappers & symlinks and
    /usr/share/AbiSuite/foo.

    Diving make is really funny about it. Stuffs everything into
    prefix/abisuite, makes hardlocked symlinks here and there if you so
    desire...it's kinda strange. This propogates into the tarballs which do
    the same, and the install script determines if it should symlink
    somewhere.

    Sooo... with prefix=/usr/share I got /usr/share/AbiSuite/bin/AbiWord_d.
    Then we symlink /usr/bin/abiword -> /usr/share/AbiSuite/bin/AbiWord (the
    wrapper).

    Not a very kind system for its lack of consistency, just that noone's
    bothered to fix it since there's nothing natively bad/nonfunctional
    about it.

    Either way, both systems base on prefix, so that first statement of
    yours doesn't quite make sense to me. You can --prefix= or prefix=
    anything you want.

    RH uses the path because they are the official distributors and
    packagers of RH Linux. Traditionally, /usr/local is used for homegrown
    stuff, thus we default that the personal is making his own copy and not
    an official one for millions of users who may or may not pay money for
    it. It's just a matter of --prefix=/usr for RH packagers.

    Hope it helps
    -MG