Re: Installation directory confusion

From: ericzen (ericzen@ez-net.com)
Date: Mon Aug 19 2002 - 22:55:40 EDT

    On 2002.08.19 16:18 j.m.maurer wrote:
    > Hi all!
    >
    > This one is bugging me for a while now: diving make installs AbiWord in
    > /usr/share, while the auto* build installs AbiWord in /usr/local/share.
    >
    > Could both build systems install in the same directory or is there some
    > deeper meaning of it that I can't seem to get?
    >
    > if not, I would vote for using /usr/share, but only due to the fact that
    > RH uses that path....
    >
    > Any objections?
    > Marc

    From the multi-unices perspective:
    /usr/share is typically the place for storing the applications not needed for a base system
    /usr/local/share is where application specific information and other parts not directly needed for the application to run.

    On some systems (solaris comes to mind), you'd find pieces of an application in both parts, equivicalby, most of AbiWord would be in /usr/share/AbiSuite/AbiWord while plugins and fonts would most likely be in /usr/local/share/AbiSuite/Abiword/*

    From an experience level, I've gotten used to it in /usr/local/share since it's practically unused in RH-like systems, but it is easier to just know that all things can be found under /usr/share/.

    With the new FHS released, you may want to consider mumbling it over (it, naturally, agrees with me). FHS is an evolving form based on the POSIX standards, which, ultimately, LSB will have to adhere to.
    | /usr/share |
    | for |
    | Abi's Home |