Re: smart quotes, summary of discussion

From: Karl Ove Hufthammer (lister@huftis.org)
Date: Tue Aug 20 2002 - 07:13:22 EDT

    Joaquin Cuenca Abela <e98cuenc@yahoo.com> wrote in
    news:20020820104202.92026.qmail@web14612.mail.yahoo.com:

    > I came late to the whole discussion about smart
    > quotes, so maybe all that are old news, but does the
    > current scheme take in account that in some languages
    > (like french) the "smart quote" is in fact two
    > characters (opening quote should be substituted by
    > opening chevron, non-breaking space) ?

    No, the *current* scheme doesn't support any other languages than
    American English.

    > in french should be quoted as:
    > example of <<_quoted text_>>
    >
    > (the _ is a non-breaking space)

    Actually, it shouldn't be the U+00A0 full-width non-breaking
    word space, but a narrower non-breaking space (perhaps a 'thin
    space' -- I don't remember, but I believe there is some
    information on this at the Unicode Web site).

    I don't think this will be very difficult to support.

    > In addition, quoted multi line text should be
    > typesetted as:
    >
    > This is << a multi
    > << line text quoted
    > << a la french
    > << fashion >>

    This will be much more difficult to implement. Does any WP support
    this? LaTeX, does, right?

    > And, just to make things a bit more funny, quoted text
    > inside quoted text should be written as:
    >
    > This is <<_quoted "text" a la frech_>>

    The PDF document I cited has some information on how various WPs
    and DTP programs handle this. But I believe the quote character
    selection UI I suggested will provide at least a usuable way to
    insert the correct quote character, even with 'dumb' smart quotes
    support.

    --
    Karl Ove Hufthammer