Re: commit: Merge Cells

From: Alan Horkan (horkana@tcd.ie)
Date: Mon Aug 26 2002 - 13:14:41 EDT

    On Tue, 27 Aug 2002, Martin Sevior wrote:

    > Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 03:02:31 +1000 (EST)
    > From: Martin Sevior <msevior@physics.unimelb.edu.au>
    > To: Alan Horkan <horkana@tcd.ie>
    > Cc: Martin Sevior <msevior@physics.unimelb.edu.au>,
    > Subject: Re: commit: Merge Cells

    > No. This was my own idea. I looked at the Word 2000 interface. It is not
    > bad but it will be difficult to implement in the short term for us. We
    > would need a way of grouping selections instead of having just one
    > selection as we do now. For us a selection of cells on different rows
    > would require us to have one selection per row. We would need to make
    > substantional changes to FV_View to do this. This is a 15,000 line method
    > and reachesout to all sorts of other places in the code. It is possible
    > and to do other things with tables (Like copying and pasting a whole
    > column) we will have to deal with it.

    > The idea came to me after reading Seth Nicol's Human Interface Guide.

    must read that sometime...

    > Particularly the part about changes being immediately effective. Also the
    > process of selecting cells first then merging them is actually a bit
    > harder than this technique I think.

    it works well so long as the dialog is not too big,
    larger dialogs obscure the document behind it and on a smaller display you
    wont have much room.

    > I haven't thought about this but it would not be hard to implement. If
    > someone wants to do it please go ahead! Actually the toolbar control I'd
    > really want is the cool graphical "insert table" control in Word 2000/Word
    > Perfect where you select the size of the table you want graphically.

    http://matrix.netsoc.tcd.ie/~horkana/dev/abi/ui/microsoft-word2000_toolbar-table-menu-widget001.png
    i love that feature too

    Later
    Alan