Re: commit: Merge Cells

From: Martin Sevior (msevior@physics.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Mon Aug 26 2002 - 13:02:31 EDT

    On Mon, 26 Aug 2002, Alan Horkan wrote:

    > nice interface, the graphics are conceptually very clear.
    > I wonder if you based it on anything in particular.

    No. This was my own idea. I looked at the Word 2000 interface. It is not
    bad but it will be difficult to implement in the short term for us. We
    would need a way of grouping selections instead of having just one
    selection as we do now. For us a selection of cells on different rows
    would require us to have one selection per row. We would need to make
    substantional changes to FV_View to do this. This is a 15,000 line method
    and reachesout to all sorts of other places in the code. It is possible
    and to do other things with tables (Like copying and pasting a whole
    column) we will have to deal with it.

    The idea came to me after reading Seth Nicol's Human Interface Guide.
    Particularly the part about changes being immediately effective. Also the
    process of selecting cells first then merging them is actually a bit
    harder than this technique I think.

    > i have word97 in front of me, if you dont have multiple cells selected it
    > does not let you merge them. otherwise it just merges the selected cells.

    With our interface you just place the cursor in the first cell you want to
    merge then press your favourite merge direction. Keep clicking until
    you've mapped out the merged set you want.

    > Does the dialog always appear
    even if there are already any cells > selected?

    Yes the dialog will always appear. If the cursor is not in a table the
    controls will be greyed out and insensitive. As soon as you move the
    cursor into a table the appropriate controls become active.

    > I was going to ask if you have added a merge cells button to the toolbar,
    > but tables will definatley need a whole new toolbar of their own and i
    > would not want to distract you from the solid backend work you are doing.

    I haven't thought about this but it would not be hard to implement. If
    someone wants to do it please go ahead! Actually the toolbar control I'd
    really want is the cool graphical "insert table" control in Word 2000/Word
    Perfect where you select the size of the table you want graphically.

    > I can tell when this is finished it is going to be really powerful and
    > worth waiting for.
    > Sweet!

    Thanks! When the backend is finished the next thing I want to do is
    import/export tables to RTF. This should not be too hard.

    Cheers

    Martin