Re: print preview screenshot

From: Andrew Dunbar (hippietrail@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Aug 26 2002 - 23:01:16 EDT

     --- Joaquín Cuenca Abela <cuenca@pacaterie.u-psud.fr>
    wrote: > On Mon, 2002-08-26 at 19:31, Alan Horkan
    wrote:

    > > On Tue, 27 Aug 2002, Martin Sevior wrote:
    > >
    > > > Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 03:08:53 +1000 (EST)
    > > > From: Martin Sevior
    > <msevior@physics.unimelb.edu.au>
    > > > To: Alan Horkan <horkana@tcd.ie>
    > <abiword-dev@abisource.com>
    > > > Subject: Re: print preview screenshot

    > > > Hi Marc,
    > > > This is really nice work and will be a
    > significant new feature for
    > > > us. However I was wondering if you could go one
    > better and display the
    > > > font name in the font itself within the drop
    > down box.
    > > >
    > > > ie So the font "Comic Sans MS" is displayed in
    > Comic Sans MS font.
    > > >
    > > > This is what MS Word 2000/97 does.
    >
    > Excellent suggestion IMHO.
    >
    > > but then Dingbats and symbol fonts are totally
    > unrecognisable !
    >
    > These fonts will require a bit more of care, yes.
    > The fonts that don't have the glyphs need to render
    > their name, should
    > be rendered with another font (the sans serif
    > default) and render a few
    > of their glyphs next to its name.

    Actually I wonder if there's a way to query the fonts
    to see if they contain Unicode support. This way
    it'll
    work even for exotic custom fonts. Anybody who
    experiments with languages knows how annoying they can
    be in font choosers that render the font name using
    the
    actual font. You can see what they look like but you
    don't know the name of the font - argh!
    Maybe Symbol and Dingbats also contain Unicode info,
    in
    which case we still check the names as well.

    And if Xft, Pango, or FreeType is missing an API which
    would tell us this, that's no reason not to implement
    it.

    Andrew Dunbar.

    =====
    http://linguaphile.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/translator.pl http://www.abisource.com