Re: My movements.

From: Martin Sevior (msevior@physics.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Sat Dec 07 2002 - 08:58:44 EST

    On Fri, 6 Dec 2002, F J Franklin wrote:

    > > The idea is to feed this to Nautilus so that one can view the first line
    > > or two of their docs in the icon displaying their docs. This way a user
    > > can tell at a glance what each document is without having to open it.
    > > Nautilus has this feature already for text files - I want to extend it to
    > > all the files abiword can read (a LOT!)
    >
    > With most XML file formats all you need to do is strip the mark-up and then
    > the white space, a job for which libxml2 is probably the only requirement.
    >
    > This would make far more sense as a companion project: AbiSniff, maybe?
    > A GPLed library that perhaps even AbiWord could link against...

    I think this is a great idea Frank. In fact we have the structure in
    place for this sort of thing already. Why not use the XAP_* classes as
    needed for for AbiSniff?

    Actually AbiSniff just needs the impexp/xp/* and the pd_Document classes.

    The application would just register a listener on the impexp/xp classes
    and count the number of chars fired through the appendSpan method.
    Then terminate the import when a present number had been found.

    Doing things this way allows all abi's importers including the doc, rtf,
    wpd, aw readers to be used in the sniffer.

    Another companion application could be AbiConvert which would just be
    Dom's command line conversion routines setup as library and/or deamon.

    I'm not so sure there is such a big win with this one though. We'd need
    the fmt and graphics classes to be able to convert to ps and eventually
    pdf and SVG.

    Anyway, some things to think about and some interesting projects for
    people.

    Cheers

    Martin