Re: My movements.

From: Martin Sevior (msevior@physics.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Sat Dec 07 2002 - 09:05:54 EST

    On Sat, 7 Dec 2002, Matthew Kirkwood wrote:

    > On Sat, 7 Dec 2002, Martin Sevior wrote:
    >
    > > > While a preview of the first 5 lines of file might be useful, a preview
    > > > of so little text in an so small as space as an icon is useless and i
    > > > find it rarely provides me with any actually useful information. On
    > > > the other hand getting nautilus to display the Document Title or some
    > > > other document description/metadata might actually be useful. (or
    > > > maybe put this information into a tooltip on mouseover, or maybe make
    > > > it a tab in the file properties dialog, ... i dunno)
    > >
    > > The first line of almost every document is it's title.
    >
    > Except for letters, which are my main use for Abiword at the
    > moment.

    True enough but don't forget that AbiSniff would also read html, doc, rtf,
    wpd, Star Office, Applix, psion, palm, kword and all XML based file
    formats.

    I can see Alans point about text icons being too small though. Maybe a
    popup window containing the text during mouse overs. This sort of stuff
    would have to get approved by the Nautilus maintainers though. They're
    very interested in keeping a clean design.

    Cheers

    Martin