Re: commit: abi: new dialog for HTML export options

From: F J Franklin (F.J.Franklin@sheffield.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Dec 10 2002 - 09:59:47 EST

    On Tue, 10 Dec 2002, Peter Lundqvist wrote:
    > I've been pondering this for a while and I cannot come up with any
    > reasonable explenation: Why on earth is there an option in a
    > "mainstream" product to export in a fashion suitable for publication on
    > the products main site?

    As I explained when I introduced the feature, it can be used by anyone
    willing to add three PHP scripts to their website.

    A lot of websites use PHP simply to create a standard page "look & feel",
    so have a PHP script for the header, another for the footer, and so on.
    Whether this is good practice I leave for others to argue about.

    AbiWord's website does this. In fact most of the pages in CVS bare scant
    resemblance to HTML (let alone XHTML), being something along the lines of

    <?
       include('header.php');
     ?>

    I thought it would be nice to be able to maintain such webpages in
    AbiWord, but that would require a webpage format which was not only
    XML-friendly but also PHP-friendly.

    My solution is to embed the PHP in XHTML like so:

     <head>
      <?php include('x-header.php'); ?>
     </head>
      <?php include('x-page-begin.php'); ?>
      <?php include('x-page-end.php'); ?>

    something like that, anyway. There is nothing AbiWord-specific about those
    three PHP files. Websites can have their own custom versions of these. I
    have made some for Abi's website.

    > I find it almost rediculous. Perhaps it should be a *lot more* hidden or
    > completely removed from the GUI? Above all, it shouldn't be the number two
    > option unless you are planning some real neat PHP-package for publicising
    > abiword-documents.

    A lot more hidden? Maybe I should say not "AbiWord Web Document" but
    rather "XHTML with PHP additions suitable for, e.g., the AbiWord WebSite"?

    > I blame this outburst on my fever, I really only wan't to know why anybody
    > (besides the glorious people responsible for mainting the website) would
    > be interested in this.

    Who says *they* are interested? I just thought that if I made the option
    available then they might use it - whoever they are.

    Regards, Frank

    Francis James Franklin
    F.J.Franklin@shef.ac.uk

      `Medium atomic weights are available: Gold, Lead, Copper, Jet, Diamond,
    Radium, Sapphire, Silver and Steel.
      `Sapphire and Steel have been assigned...'