Re: A new draw on XP refactoring

Subject: Re: A new draw on XP refactoring
From: Dom Lachowicz (doml@appligent.com)
Date: Fri Feb 01 2002 - 09:31:55 CST

> FYI, libart works really quite well. It displays SVG (and other formats)
> like a charm. It also supports vector drawing, and is a very good codebase IMHO.

Libart is ok, but not without its share of bugs too. librsvg is based on
libart, and doesn't yet support a good chunk of the SVG spec. To be
brief, I've thought about using librsvg to let us display SVG images.

> When did Abi_word_ become an image project anyway? Why can't this list ust
> be focused on Abiword - the text editor's development?

AbiWord has never been an image project and will never be one. Yet, in
the course of things, we will want to support viewing of vector
graphics, and in particular, SVG. So, in part, we're thinking about what
might be necessary to do that.

> IMHO, a new project for the AbiDraw/AbiPaint/AbiWhatever would be better...
> I'm not all that interested in Yet Another graphics app.

That's what we are proposing. Some history:

AbiSource was initially interested in building a framework on which
applications could build upon. This framework was fairly ambitious - it
was to be both cross-platform and cross-application, much like the
mozilla framework intends to be.

What we are discussing here is a refactoring of our codebase so that we
can:

1) Make development of our existing app (AbiWord) easier
2) Improve upon the design of our existing app and its framework
3) More easily identify and address bugs in our existing app
4) Remove lots of duplicated code and duplicated bugs
5) Make ports to other platforms easier (eg: Cocoa, Carbon)
6) Make development of new apps based on our framework possible and easy
7) Make points 1-6 applicable for point #6

This topic and its content is entirely appropriate for our list. It's
not like we're discussing pouring hot grits down Natilie Portman's pants
or something...

Dom