svg vs. draw (was: Re: A new draw on XP refactoring)

Subject: svg vs. draw (was: Re: A new draw on XP refactoring)
From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Fri Feb 01 2002 - 11:25:27 CST

At 12:55 AM 2/2/02 +1100, Martin Sevior wrote:
>On Fri, 1 Feb 2002, F J Franklin wrote:
>> Since we'll be re-arranging the code, this will be the best time to
>> distinguish AbiSuite code from AbiWord code, a line long blurred...
>> (or should that be "anti-aliased"?)
>
>As Hub says all the code in src/af/* is meant to be available to all
>applications. You also have full use of the code in src/text/*. The code
>within src/wp* is meant to be just for a word processor. However I think
>that a lot of that code would be useful for presentation graphics too.

Yep. Originally, all of the src/text/* code was part of src/wp/*, but later
on we decided to segregate the text-handling code so it could eventually be
used in other AbiSuite apps -- especially AbiShow (for presentation
graphics).

Likewise, insofar as SVG rendering will be useful for various products, I
suspect that we'll probably want to segregate out the following new
directories:

  src/svg/* ... core SVG editing and/or rendering
  src/draw/* ... drawing product UI and behavior
  src/show/* ... presentation graphics UI and behavior

Thus, each product would be built using a distinct mix of libraries:

  AbiWord ... xap, wp, text, svg
  AbiHello ... xap, hello
  AbiDraw ... xap, draw, svg
  AbiShow ... xap, show, text, svg
  AbiCalc ... xap, calc, ...
  etc.

Or at least that was our intent for AbiSuite way back when. :-)

>In principle you could just cut and paste src/hello/* to get started on
>another application.

Yeah, that was the hope. In reality, src/hello/* usually has been an
unmaintained stepchild. It could use some loving attention. :-(

Rather than start there, I'd recommend thinking through refactorings like
the one Hub proposed in one of the other subthreads here.

Paul