Re: AbiDraw UI (was: Re: A new draw on XP refactoring)

Subject: Re: AbiDraw UI (was: Re: A new draw on XP refactoring)
From: F J Franklin (F.J.Franklin@sheffield.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Feb 01 2002 - 11:30:48 CST

> - geeks who use Visio to draw cloud diagrams of networks
> - CAD professionals who build wireframe blueprints
> - professional illustrators who create pretty clip art
>
> However, to get the ball rolling, I *would* suggest that the intended user
> be an AbiWord user. What would they expect of a "vector drawing" package?

Paul,

Thanks. I myself am largely uninterested in the GUI, but I don't think
AbiDraw should be anything complicated.

We simply don't have the resources to do something like dia, though I
would like to support plugins and maybe plugins could provide libraries of
shapes expressed in SVG - but really that's far in the future (certainly
not before Sunday tea-time).

CAD is well out of scope. Professional illustrators will buy FreeHand or
Illustrator or whatever. You get what you pay for. With time and plugins
we may be able to support a limited feature set, but to start with we
should concentrate on basic shape, image and text support.

Probably useful also would be a flow-chart toolbar...

Ciao, Frank

Francis James Franklin
F.J.Franklin@shef.ac.uk

It's getting them wrong that is living, getting them wrong and wrong and
wrong and then, on careful reconsideration, getting them wrong again.
That's how we know we're alive: we're wrong.
                                                         --- Philip Roth