Re: A new draw on XP refactoring

Subject: Re: A new draw on XP refactoring
From: Alan Horkan (horkana@tcd.ie)
Date: Sat Feb 02 2002 - 16:30:51 CST

> >> I think this is a great idea. I really need presentation
> >> graphics and we have already done a lot of the work with
> >> abiword to create stuff.
> >>
> >> Using SVG for animations is a great solution.
>
> Frank> Martin, I'm guessing you read the IRC conversation? My
> Frank> proposal here was just for AbiDraw as a sketch program, not
> Frank> a presentation tool. But we were talking yesterday about
> Frank> developing this eventually into a presentation tool (i.e.,
> Frank> "AbiShow").

> Um, is this reinventing the wheel ? dia already is a extremely useful
> Vector graphics drawing program and the gimp handles a lot of non
> vector graphics as far as I understand it.
>
> Obviously, if people want to spend their time on this then I'm not
> complaining, just curious,

(Score: +1 Insightful) What he just said

Dia is nifty, and cross platform although not as deliberately multiplatform
and integrated as Abiword. I was messing about with it just doing
drawings but it seems aimed towards more serious diagrams than
Art so as long as you plan it well i think there is definately a niche
to be filled.

Hopefully ill have time to talk to you about it further on IRC during the
week.

Sincerely
Alan