The font problem

From: William Lachance (wlach@interlog.com)
Date: Fri Feb 22 2002 - 06:38:58 GMT

    O.k., I've been following this problem, but there's something I still don't
    understand.

    From what I can gather, the situation is this:

    1. X's font situation is rather messed up. There is no way of ensuring that a
    font is available for both printing and rendering, so abi needs to ensure
    that both are provided.
    2. So Abi needs to provide its own fonts.
    3. But there are not fonts that correlate with the windows fonts that we
    known and love.
    4. So we have renamed the fonts to match their windows equivalents.
    5. And this is what has caused bugs 1030 and 2598, which has caused no end of
    controversy.

    But why can't we simply implement a font substitution table for the Unix
    version of AbiWord? Bugs 1030 and 2598 seem to boil down to fonts being put
    into the X window system which cause problems with apps that expect them (eg:
    rendering sites tailoured to a windows system in a linux web browser).

    From bug 2598, we see this:

    ------- Additional Comments From Bryce Nesbitt 2002-01-15 17:19 -------

    AbiWord-Courier is really Nimbus Mono. The only real fonts Abi ships with
    are:

    /FamilyName (Bitstream Charter) readonly def
    /FamilyName (Century Schoolbook L) readonly def
    /FamilyName (Dingbats) readonly def
    /FamilyName (Nimbus Mono L) readonly def
    /FamilyName (Nimbus Roman No9 L) readonly def
    /FamilyName (Nimbus Sans L) readonly def
    /FamilyName (Standard Symbols L) readonly def
    /FamilyName (URW Bookman L) readonly def
    /FamilyName (URW Chancery L) readonly def
    /FamilyName (URW Gothic L) readonly def
    /FamilyName (URW Palladio L) readonly def

    Everything else is fake.

    But if we just installed the fonts by their real names, and used them
    according to their real names (including the user-visible ui) and then
    substituted based on a "best match" when importing and exporting a document,
    then wouldn't this problem be eliminated?

    What am I missing? This is what is requested in the "bug", but I can't find
    any reference to people talkIs it just that no one is willing to take on the
    work that this would involve so close to 1.0? (I think this would be useful
    even in post 1.0 land for importing/exporting documents)

    Will Lachance
    wlach@interlog.com