Re: Question for MS Word Power Users.

Subject: Re: Question for MS Word Power Users.
From: Martin Sevior (msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Thu Jan 03 2002 - 07:58:43 CST

On Thu, 3 Jan 2002, Jared Davis wrote:

> > As far as I can tell, this is not possible in Word. Changing to 4.a also
> > changes 2.1 to 2.a. It can be done only by breaking the list into two
> > parts, for instance restarting numbering at line 4., which has the ugly
> > side effect of turning the 4. into a 1. Then set the first number of the
> > new list to not begin at 1., but to begin at 4.
>
> You can do it... basically you do the split into two lists thing, and format
> the nested items as desired. Then, you need to right-click on the second
> list and hit "bullets", and choose the option "continue previous list's
> numbering." This will make the second list look like an extension of the
> first. You can then delete the space between the lists and everything works
> fine. I've attached sample RTF and DOC files from Word 2000.

Yuck. I'm not interested in writing code to do that work around.

> I don't know why anyone would want this. :)

I just knew it was easy to do in abiword and I wanted to export whatever a
user desired to MsWord. No doubt there will be a bugzilla entry for it
within a few months...

What with happen now is that the list will be imported in MsWord as:

1. Line 1
2. Line 2
   2.1 Line here
   2.2 Line Here