Re: PATCH request: edit headers

Subject: Re: PATCH request: edit headers
From: Martin Sevior (msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Thu Jan 03 2002 - 07:53:26 CST

On Mon, 31 Dec 2001, Bryce Nesbitt wrote:

> Randy Kramer wrote:
> >
> > Bryce Nesbitt wrote:

> > > Could "normal" mode be a "zoom" mode? Then you'd have only one set
> > > of linearly related modes to understand. You could zoom in and out:
> > > body (e.g. normal)
> > > body + headers
> > > page width
> > > full page
> > > two page
> > > etc...
>
> In an attempt to cram both "magnification" and "layout" into
> a single progression:
>
> Zoom
> compact view (text wraps to width of window - narrow or wide)
> normal view (shows true width, with no headers)
> page layout (shows headers also)
> full page (shows border of page also)
> two page (fits two pages in available window space)

This is too much work for 1.0. Maybe it could be revisted post 1.0. Here
is my suggestion.

We leave all the header/footer controls active during normal mode
editting. However when a user tries to edit a header/footer while in
normal mode, we pop a message box that says:

"You must be in Print View mode to create and edit Headers or Footers. To
enter Print View mode, select 'View' then 'Print View' from the menus."

With an "OK" button underneath. After pressing OK, nothing happens and the
user is left in Normal Mode.

This shows the user that editting headers/footers is possible and
how to do it without making the choice for her. The user has to decide to
enter Print View Mode themselves.

Nothing is done behind her back.

What you guys think?

Cheers