Re: [patch] xhtml fixes

Subject: Re: [patch] xhtml fixes
From: John L. Clark (jlc6@po.cwru.edu)
Date: Sun Jan 06 2002 - 09:53:46 CST

On Sun, Jan 06, 2002 at 01:54:56PM +0100, Adrian Phillips wrote:

> John> Hey guys, The attached patch should clear up all outstanding
> John> xhtml bugs (as listed in bugzilla) with the exception of
> John> 2289, which I feel is a non-bug. Let me know if you have
> John> any problems with the changes made by this patch. Unless
> John> someone has more pressing work for me, I will be attempting
> John> to get round tripped html working.
>
> This patch on top Dom's changes to add width/height make PNG images
> (at least) in Mozilla and Netscape look rather appalling because the
> size has been changed (ie_exp_HTML.cpp).
>
> Removing the conversion to points gives me :-
>
> width="4.85in" height="4.91in"
>
> which is as per .abw file. With the patch I get :-
>
> width="349" height="353"
>
> Imagemagick gives 485x491.
>
> Umm, looking at UT_convertToPoints I'm rather confused where the
> problem lies. 4.85in => 485 points it seems, or is the 4.85in in the
> .abw incorrect and that should be points ? (Hand changing 349/353 to
> 485/491 in the .html makes the diagram look normal again).

Interesting; thanks for pointing this out. I added the change to Dom's
original fix because in HTML, an image's height and width[1] can only be
specified in points or percentage[2]. Using inches was invalid.
Perhaps I should have used an alternate conversion function, but if so,
I don't know it. Can someone suggest a solution to this?

Take care,

        John

[1] www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/objects.html#adef-height-IMG
[2] www.w3.org/TR/html4/types.html#type-length