Re: Win32 BIDI build

Subject: Re: Win32 BIDI build
From: Tomas Frydrych (tomas@frydrych.uklinux.net)
Date: Thu Jan 10 2002 - 14:42:52 CST

Hi Jeremy,

> In ev_Toolbar_Labels.cpp
> EV_Toolbar_Label::EV_Toolbar_Label(...)
> within #ifdef BIDI_ENABLED section there is the following chunk of
> code
> What exactly does this do (as needed by AbiWord)?

The code in question is responsible for bidi processing of the
toolbar hints; there is a virtually identical code in the menu class
as well. The original problem was caused by some bug in fribidi,
and seem to have been fixed with a fribidi upgrade, hence, I turned
it back on.

If it is indeed this code that is causing the problem, then it can be
turned off for the moment, since we currently do not have any
translations that would require it, but I could not find any bug in the
code itself, and the fribidi_log2vis function seems to work fine
elsewhere.

I should also point out that the debug bidi version is running some
experimental code in the layout engine, so the debug version does
not behave exactly the same as the non-debug, but this should not
manifest itself during start up.

> How uptodate is the fribidi library in cvs? I know at one point
> (long while ago) it seemed a bit old comparatively, but appears
> to have been updated since I last looked (at least the glaring
> bug I remembered doesn't seem to be in Abi's cvs version anymore).

There is a never version of fribidi that has been just released, but there is still
some fine tuning going on, and I decided only upgrade to it after the
1.0 release.

> And because I don't feel like duplicating work, I figured I'd
> ask now (I intend to search the mailing list & reread the docs
> with Abi, but haven't had a chance yet), is anyone else aware that
> some strings (titlebar/menus) are displayed wrong in the BiDi build,
> [bug 2535] but are displayed fine in the nonbidi build. Specifically,
> I'm asking is anyone else working on this, noticed this, or is it a
> known issue that a fix is being delayed for some other reason? Thanks.
I am not working on this, mainly because I am unable to run in non-
English environment; I know roughly what the problem -- for the bidi
processing the localised strings have to be converted to Unicode,
processed and converted back to the locale encoding; somewhere
in this two conversions the accented characters get lost. If you
have the time and will, I will appreciate if you look into it.

Tomas