Re: bugzilla configuration -- Bug voting

Subject: Re: bugzilla configuration -- Bug voting
From: Bryce Nesbitt (bryce@obviously.com)
Date: Wed Jan 23 2002 - 14:42:33 CST

Piotr Banski wrote:

> On Sun, 20 Jan 2002, Randy Kramer wrote:
> > Tomas Frydrych wrote:
> > > Would it be possible to configure bugzilla so that every person can
> > > only vote once for a particular bug and not for a bug they
> > > themselves reported?
> [...]
> > Maybe a change to the instructions somewhere, along with a post to
> > abiword-user would help, especially if reconfiguring bugzilla is
> > difficult.
>
> Definitely. At some point, I stumbled across a bug report that expressed
> utter surprise about the fact that not even the author voted on it. Since
> then, I began to vote on my own reports, sometimes, and indeed, this is a
> commonplace practice, as I was able to observe.

Asking users to vote more often would also solve this problem. Right now
only a few people vote, so their votes can distort the results. 30 votes
from one person is enough to put an issue in the top 10.

I'd drop the number of allowed votes to 10, and put up website messages
encouraging more users to vote. Authors, or anyone else, should be enouraged
to vote as they see fit.

                -Bryce