Re: Font, layout units et al.

From: Joaquin Cuenca Abela (e98cuenc@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Jun 04 2002 - 03:10:08 EDT

    --- Martin Sevior <msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au>
    wrote:
    > Hi Joaquin,
    > I've seen the screen shot. The some additional
    > we're fighting
    > with the current layout code are:
    >
    > 1. Same number of lines of per page at all
    > resolutions. from 25% up to
    > print resolution and all zooms in between..

    fine and dandy. Once again, the problem here is doing
    calculations at screen resolution and cumulating
    errors.

    Unfortunately, I don't have an screenshot to prove
    that, but it seems pretty clear to me that this alg.
    will handle it just fine.

    > 2. Problems of one run overrunning running another
    > on the same line.

    Also fine. We should also place the second run using
    the "high-res" pen position.

    The question of: "will they run one over the other?"
    is the same as "will individual characters run over
    the next one when layed out this way?", and the
    screenshot proves: "not... too much". See the "wwwww"
    part in the screenshot, half of the 'w' are running
    one pixel over the next one (the w and m letters are
    the more conflictive ones to get right at small sizes,
    so they need a bit more of space). Word have this
    very same "problem", but it looks acceptable to me.

    > 3. pixel dirt from characters not being correctly
    > cleared.

    That's unrelated, except that now letters may be even
    nearer than before, and thus old problems (as italic
    'f' entering bounding box of next character) may hit
    even harder.

    So by now I'm will just leave the current "clean
    character" algorithm.

    It should be noted that I'm not working on this right
    now. I just wanted to show that it's the right thing
    to do. By now I'm still busy with the Xft support
    (I've updated it to Xft2 and fontconfig, it compiles
    but at startup it says that it cann't find any font...
    I'm still tracking it).

    Cheers,

    =====
    Joaquin Cuenca Abela