Re: more XFt stuff

From: Andrew Dunbar (hippietrail@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Jun 22 2002 - 00:38:49 EDT

     --- Dom Lachowicz <doml@appligent.com> wrote: > On
    Fri, 2002-06-21 at 17:36, Martin Sevior wrote:

    > > Is there any reason this should not be committed
    > to HEAD Real Soon Now?
    >
    > I can think of one or 12 reasons off the top of my
    > head, but the first
    > one that jumps to mind is that we decided to use
    > Pango and Freetype to
    > do our font dirty-work. Freetype is a *very* high
    > quality XP solution.
    > XFS and friends actually use freetype2 to do the
    > majority of the work
    > for them. Sure, parts of Cuenca's patch should be
    > applied regardless
    > (eg. spurious redraw code in the formatting engine),
    > but this wasn't the
    > direction we were going for in HEAD. At least not to
    > the best of my
    > knowledge.It's certainly not the direction I want
    > HEAD to take. Feel
    > free too disagree.

    I tend to think it's well worth maintaining as either
    a branch or a compile-time option. How difficult
    would
    it be to make everything abstract enough to build both
    for the time-being? That was the kind of open
    strategy I was really hoping for all along but others
    felt coders willing to work on various versions would
    be too scarce. It seems to me that the Xft build will
    allow progress in some directions now that won't be
    possible to explore otherwise until the Pango/FreeType
    build is further along.

    Just my 2c. Andrew.

    > Regards,
    > --