RE: free range UNICODE / vertical rendering

From: Alistair Vining (alistair.vining@ntlworld.com)
Date: Mon Jun 24 2002 - 16:54:08 EDT

    Joaquín Cuenca Abela wrote:

    > We don't yet support vertical text. Mongolian is even harder than usual
    > vertical scripts, because AFAIK mongolian people should be able to mix
    > mongolian text with other scripts, that have different directions.

    Again, not for Achim's benefit, but for anybody else trying to help the other problem
    is the complex shaping behaviour involved. This is supposed to be solved in Unicode
    using the Mongolian Variant Selector characters, but as far as I know, they're still
    undocumented. [I take that back, see:
    http://www.unicode.org/Public/3.2-Update/StandardizedVariants-3.2.0.html]. From
    somewhere at http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/language/mongolian/montex/doc/ :

    | Mongolian Script, or /bicig/, is a writing with an intriguing
    | and complex relationship between the canonical letters of
    | the alphabet and their presentations in context. Virtually any
    | canonical letter can assume several shapes. As a rule of thumb,
    | there are three or four basic shapes: the letter in isolated
    | form, the letter in initial, medial and final position of a
    | word. Only a few letters stay the same, and in rare cases
    | there are up to ten possibilities for representing a single
    | letter.
    |
    | On the other hand, some letters share the same shape in
    | different contexts; one so-called /glyph/ can represent
    | more than one letter, sometimes three or four different
    | letters.

    Al.