Re: RFC: future develpment/release strategy

From: Joaquín Cuenca Abela (cuenca@pacaterie.u-psud.fr)
Date: Tue Jun 25 2002 - 01:44:02 EDT

    On Tue, 2002-06-25 at 03:42, Martin Sevior wrote:

    > On Mon, 24 Jun 2002, Dom Lachowicz wrote:
    >
    > > Hi guys,
    > >
    > > GTK2 will (*must*, actually) be ready for the next release, especially
    > > if someone helps me out a little bit. You all know (or can read back
    > > through the archives) what main sticking points are left.
    >
    > Hi Dom,
    > I'll help out once the GTK2 branch is merged back into HEAD.
    >
    > > A GNOME2 port,
    > > well, I'll need to find more free time I suppose, esp. since I'm not
    > > very interested in doing this work.
    > >

    > I'll help out here too. I'm particularly interested in supporting embedded
    > bonobo objects. I want to do this for many reasons and in particular to
    > allow equation support via GtkMathView. Math support is our number 3 most
    > requested feature. (and I REALLY want it too :-)

    I don't think that adding equations support using bonobo is a very good
    idea.

    IMO equations should be too highly tied to the wordprocessor to be left
    completely separated.

    For instance, the good equation editor wants to know what mode should it
    use (inline, or full), what are the current used fonts, etc.

    In addition, when you add something as an embedded object, things start
    moving aroung (menu items merging, toolbars merging, etc.), and it takes
    a while to stabilize, confusing the user and taking time. Many times
    the user has to suffer all that to write something as (x^2/2).

    All that remembers me the gnumeric/guppi problem. A chart editor/viewer
    should be as tied to a spreadsheet as an equation editor to a
    wordprocessor. The gnumeric/guppi guys tried to use bonobo to do their
    integration, and after many headaches they switched back to use guppi as
    a simple library.

    But bonobo support would still be useful, specially to embed stupid
    things, as minesweppers and such.

    Btw, I also REALLY want math support, and a kickass one if possible.
    Looking forward to the day when I will be able to help :)

    Cheers,

    --
    Joaquín Cuenca Abela
    cuenca@pacaterie.u-psud.fr