Re: RFC: future develpment/release strategy

From: Joaquin Cuenca Abela (e98cuenc@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Jun 25 2002 - 11:48:01 EDT

    --- Tomas Frydrych <tomas@frydrych.uklinux.net> wrote:

    > From the XP point of view the bigest issue is
    > getting Pango/Glib2
    > available on the non-*nix platforms, and as no-one
    > seems to be
    > looking into this, it could take years :-(.

    Tomas, if nobody else steps here (Andrew?), I will try
    to keep the win32 pango backend up to date with the
    unix one.

    But I will not start working on that until we start
    regularly using the pango backend (I guess that it
    means just after 1.2).

    I will be very happy if somebody else did the work, as
    I was hopping to do some work on typographic issues
    after the Xft work. In the order, I'm hopping for:
    WYSIWYG, remplacing our line justification by the
    total-fit one (the same algorithm that Knuth did for
    TeX), adding (copying it from TeX or somebody else) a
    word breaker (possibly integrate it in pango), kerning
    pairs, margin kernings, and investigate font
    expansion, interletter spacing and rivers detection.

    Cheers,

    =====
    Joaquin Cuenca Abela
    e98cuenc@yahoo.com