Re: RFC: future develpment/release strategy

From: Andrew Dunbar (hippietrail@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Jun 25 2002 - 23:10:42 EDT

     --- Joaquin Cuenca Abela <e98cuenc@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > --- Tomas Frydrych <tomas@frydrych.uklinux.net>
    > wrote:
    > >
    > > From the XP point of view the bigest issue is
    > > getting Pango/Glib2
    > > available on the non-*nix platforms, and as no-one
    > > seems to be
    > > looking into this, it could take years :-(.
    >
    > Tomas, if nobody else steps here (Andrew?), I will
    > try to keep the win32 pango backend up to date with
    > the unix one.

    I *so* want to work on it! It's just that I can't
    seem
    to find a job here in Perth. I underestimated the
    poor
    state of the tech industry in this state. I keep
    thinking of giving up and moving back to the eastern
    states but I'm also more worried in this
    post-dot-bomb-era about not having a degree. I need a
    job to be able to buy a computer and get an ISP ):

    I know Tomas is strongly against it and I'm sure he
    has good technical reasons for it, but I would still
    like AbiWord to be able to work with any of the
    FreeType backends in a generic way - even to work with
    Uniscribe instead. I'd be investigating and
    experimenting in that area if I did have a machine.
    But this has all been discusses so I don't want to
    start it all up again now that we have such good work
    going on in both Xft and Pango.

    > But I will not start working on that until we start
    > regularly using the pango backend (I guess that it
    > means just after 1.2).
    >
    > I will be very happy if somebody else did the work,
    > as
    > I was hopping to do some work on typographic issues
    > after the Xft work. In the order, I'm hopping for:
    > WYSIWYG, remplacing our line justification by the
    > total-fit one (the same algorithm that Knuth did for
    > TeX), adding (copying it from TeX or somebody else)
    > word breaker (possibly integrate it in pango),
    > kerning
    > pairs, margin kernings, and investigate font
    > expansion, interletter spacing and rivers detection.

    It would be neat if all or any of these things could
    be made to work in a generic fashion to use Pango or
    not, depending on what is built in, IMHO.

    Andrew Dunbar.

    =====
    http://linguaphile.sourceforge.net http://www.abisource.com