RE: free range UNICODE / vertical rendering

From: Andrew Dunbar (hippietrail@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Jun 25 2002 - 23:29:57 EDT

    http://www.unicode.org/Public/3.2-Update/StandardizedVariants-3.2.0.html].

    http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/language/mongolian/montex/doc/

    > yup. AFAIR Mongolian was basically undoable on
    > computers until a few years ago. Now it's basically
    > solved problem (in theory) thanks to the latest
    > researchs in the field.
    >
    > Again, this language is a (really) difficult one.
    > The
    > only programs usable to do mongolian that I know of
    > is
    > montex, and I think that there is a mongolian
    > especific WP that people use in mongolia.

    As far as the positional variant problem with
    Mongolian, does it really differ from the same problem
    in Arabic script? I thought the fonts contained all
    the positional glyphs even though there was only
    Unicode code points for each abstract character, and
    that it was then up to the renderer (Pango, Uniscribe,
    etc) to obtain the correct glyph variant from the
    font. I'm sure Pango doesn't have this logic yet for
    Mongolian but it does for Arabic so it would need to
    be added there. From the URLs you've given it looks
    like there are some Unicode codepoints I was not aware
    of to allow specific selection of glyph variants but
    I can't be sure yet and I'm looking for more
    information.

    Still it's all very interesting to this
    internationalization geek (:

    Andrew Dunbar.