Re: Hebrew Microsoft and the Mac version of Office

From: Leonard Rosenthol (leonardr@lazerware.com)
Date: Wed Jun 26 2002 - 15:10:40 EDT

    At 6:37 PM +0100 6/26/02, Alan Horkan wrote:
    >You may have read recent articles on TheRegister.co.uk bemoaning the lack
    >of Hebrew support in MS Office for the Mac

            No I didn't, but I'm intimately familiar with the subject
    having worked with Apple on the original Hebrew support for Mac OS.

    >Abiword supports Hebrew and Abiword is being developed for Mac OS X.

            True.

    >Perhaps this opportunity could be used to recruit Hebrew developers?
    >And possibly recruit Mac Developers?

            Won't help till "Jaquar", the upcoming upgrade to Mac OS X
    that will incorporate support for Hebrew into the OS itself.

    >Cohen says that the CEO of Apple's Israeli representative Yeda offered to
    >underwrite the localization work, pay 1million shekels, and assure a
    >pre-order of 2,000 copies from Apple France - but Microsoft Israel
    >declined. (Yeda and Apple France didn't return our request for
    >confirmation).

            Not surprised.

            On Windows they support Hebrew (and every other language that
    they can) because it is how they test the OS support - though it's
    still not perfect (nor does it address Hebrew variants such as
    Yiddish).

            On the Mac, they don't see the need to put in the (major!)
    engineering effort. Hell, I'd MUCH rather see them do a good job
    with Hebrew in IE and Entourage BEFORE they worry about Office...

    Leonard

    Leonard Rosenthol                            <mailto:leonardr@lazerware.com>
                          			     <http://www.lazerware.com>