Re:Win32: WS2 dependency?

From: Kenneth J.Davis (jeremyd@computer.org)
Date: Thu Jun 27 2002 - 13:38:04 EDT

    "Mike Nordell" <tamlin@algonet.se> wrote on 6/27/2002 11:42:01 AM:

    >Looking at the TWiki pages I noticed that AW apparently depends on Winsock2.
    >Anyone knows if this is for a particular reason, using some WS2 only
    >functionality, or is it just an oversight where someone included
    ><winsock2.h> and linked with the WS2 lib instead of the older ones?
    >
    >/Mike - please only follow-up to the list

    Keeping in mind what Mark said (official builds do not currently require
    this dependency), I thought I'd just answer where the dependency comes from.
    Within the Head branch there is optionally support to download dictionary
    hash files. This support is either compiled in or not, but if it is, the
    library used to perform the download makes use of the WS2 lib. I am
    uncertain whether libcurl can be linked with winsock 1 (and still work)
    as the official source links with the winsock 2 library. Hopefully the
    TWiki pages are more clear now that this is not usually a required dll.

    Jeremy Davis
    jeremyd@computer.org