Re: on why we can't use link, the grammar checker

From: Rui Miguel Silva Seabra (rms@1407.org)
Date: Thu Mar 07 2002 - 16:06:55 GMT

    On Thu, 2002-03-07 at 15:02, Dom Lachowicz wrote:
    > This is my point - I can link GPL AbiWord with non-GPL Link *without*
    > modifying Link's license if I use it via a plugin. I've modified the
    > plugin's copyright from GPL -> GPL + Exception

    You can do this, if the AbiWord plugin is called as fork+exec
    Otherwise, no. I didn't even see an exec on the plugin's source

    > >From my understanding, this does *NOT* require the whole of AbiWord to
    > be released under GPL + Exception.
    > 1) The plugin is a dynamically loadable module and separate from AbiWord
    > as a whole

    Does it not link against AbiWord and includes AbiWord header files?
    As it clearly does...

    // Abi includes

    #include "xap_Module.h"
    #include "xap_App.h"
    #include "xap_Frame.h"
    #include "fv_View.h"
    #include "ap_Menu_Id.h"
    #include "ev_Menu_Actions.h"
    #include "ev_Menu.h"
    #include "ev_Menu_Layouts.h"
    #include "ev_Menu_Labels.h"
    #include "ev_EditMethod.h"
    #include "xap_Menu_Layouts.h"

    ... so no: the plugin is a dynamically loadable module NOT separated from
    AbiWord as a whole.

    > 2) The plugin is released under a GPL-compatible license (GPL +
    > exception), so AbiWord's GPL code can call the plugin and the plugin can
    > call AbiWord's GPL code

    Read very carefully what it says on #WritingFSWithNFLibs. I am going to
    paste it here (with | on the beggining so you can distinguish my
    comments)

    | I am writing free software that uses non-free libraries. What legal
    | issues come up if I use the GPL?
    |
    | If the libraries that you link with falls within the following
    | exception in the GPL:
    |
    | However, as a special exception, the source code distributed need
    | not include anything that is normally distributed (in either source
    | or binary form) with the major components (compiler, kernel, and so
    | on) of the operating system on which the executable runs, unless
    | that component itself accompanies the executable.
    |
    | then you don't have to do anything special to use them. In other
                                                                 ^^^^^^^^
    | words, if the libraries you need come with major parts of a
      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^##########################
    | proprietary operating system, the GPL says people can link your
      ^^^^^^^^^^^^################
    | program with them.

    Does link come as part of any version of Microsoft Windows, or
    GNU/Linux?

    | If you want your program to link against a library not covered by
    | that exception, you need to add your own exception, wholly outside of
      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    | the GPL. This copyright notice and license notice give permission to
    | link with the program FOO:
    |
    | Copyright (C) yyyy <name of copyright holder>
    |
    | This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
    | it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
    | the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
    | (at your option) any later version.
    |
    | This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
    | but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
    | MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the
    | GNU General Public License for more details.
    |
    | You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
    | along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software
    | Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA
    | 02111-1307 USA
    |
    | In addition, as a special exception, <name of copyright
    | holder> gives permission to link the code of this program with
    | the FOO library (or with modified versions of FOO that use the
    | same license as FOO), and distribute linked combinations including
    | the two. You must obey the GNU General Public License in all
    | respects for all of the code used other than FOO. If you modify
    | this file, you may extend this exception to your version of the
    | file, but you are not obligated to do so. If you do not wish to
    | do so, delete this exception statement from your version.
    |
    | Only the copyright holders for the program can legally authorize
    | this exception. If you wrote the whole program yourself, then assuming
    | your employer or school does not claim the copyright, you are the
    | copyright holder--so you can authorize the exception. But if you want
                                                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    | to use parts of other GPL-covered programs by other authors in your
      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    | code, you cannot authorize the exception for them. You have to get the
    | approval of the copyright holders of those programs.

    Whole AbiWord.

    | When other people modify the program, they do not have to make the
    | same exception for their code--it is their choice whether to do so.
    |
    | Adding this exception eliminates the legal issue, but does nothing
    | about the more serious problem of using a non-free library: your
    | program won't be fully usable in a free environment. If your program
      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    | depends on a non-free library to do a certain job, it cannot do that
      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    | job in the Free World. If it depends on a non-free library to run at
      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    | all, it cannot be part of a free operating system such as GNU; it is
    | entirely off limits to the Free World.
    |
    | So please consider: can you find a way to get the job done without
    | using this library? Can you write a free replacement for that library?

    I think we can try to (if I can convince a teacher of such), but the
    best would be to convince them to use a compatible license.

    | If the program is already written using the non-free library,
    | perhaps it is too late to change the decision. You may as well release
    | the program as it stands, rather than not release it. But please
    | mention in the README that the need for the non-free library is a
    | drawback, and suggest the task of changing the program so that it does
    | the same job without the non-free library.
    |
    | Also please tell us (<tasks@gnu.org>) about the non-free library
    | and what job it does. We could encourage people to develop a free
      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    | library to do the same job.
      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    The words are not there, but they may also promote the change to a free
    software license to the authors of said code.

    > 3) Therefore AbiWord can load this plugin, legally

    Not.

    > This does *not* affect the copyright on existing AbiWord code at all. I
    > am the sole copyright holder on the plugin, therefore I have complete
    > authority to change the license as I see fit.

    I hope I was able to explain why this sentences are wrong.

    > I do *not* use code copyrighted under the GPL by other people in my
    > plugin code. I *do* call APIs that are licensed under the GPL, but I do
    > not believe that is a use of other "GPL-covered programs by other
    > authors in my code" - it's a public API call into what I'm deeming a
    > "system library".

    Again, from the GPL FAQ:

    http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#TOCGPLModuleLicense

    http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#TOCIfLibraryIsGPL
    | * If a library is released under the GPL (not the LGPL), does that
    | mean that any program which uses it has to be under the GPL?
    |
    | Yes, because the program as it is actually run includes the library.

    The plugin uses as extra libraries AbiWord (GPL) and 'link' (not libre).

    > http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#WhatDoesCompatMean
    > http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/license-list.html#GPLCompatibleLicenses
    >
    > If these actions are not sufficient for you, I may choose to relicense
    > my plugin code under some other GPL-compatible license which does not
    > have this absurd bigotry about linking against non-free libraries.

    It does not solve the problem, as you have to use the GPL as is said in
    #TOCIfLibraryIsGPL

    > Of course, it would be best *for our purposes* if Link was able to
    > relicense their code under some GPL-compatible license.

    This is where I am betting we should make an effort. As Jared said, they
    might be willing. I say we concentrate on talking with them towards
    that.

    Hugs, rms

    + So let's do it...?