Re: GNU license

From: Andrzej Pruszynski (abi@rth.coi.waw.pl)
Date: Sun Mar 17 2002 - 01:24:54 GMT

    On Sun 17. March 2002 01:35, Rui Miguel Silva Seabra wrote:
    > On Sun, 2002-03-17 at 00:16, Andrzej Pruszynski wrote:
    > > I think that translations of GNU license should be added
    > > (ONLY for better understanding the English one).
    > > If AbiWord is for everyone this means: also for non-English speaking.
    >
    > Which GNU license? :)
    >
    > There's no need for that, since there is no official GNU GPL
    > translation, since it's very hard to almost impossible to make sure a
    > translation correctly transmits the value of the GNU GPL.
    >
    > A notice to http://www.gnu.org/licenses/translations.html
    >
    > Should suffice.
    >
    > Hugs, rui

    As you know the only English version of GNU GPL is officially valid.
    But when I am starting an instalation of AbiWord i have to agree with...
    what? ...
    1. Please do not force people to sign abra-cadabra (and help them if they
    don't know English).
    2. GNU GPL is a beautiful document. It's usefull and worthy to spread it in
    more languages.
    3. It shoud be clear that translations stay for better understanding the
    English version.

    If you have doubts I will add one question for clearance:
    *IS* AbiWord for everyone?

    Andrzej Pruszynski