Re: GNU license

From: Rui Miguel Silva Seabra (rms@1407.org)
Date: Sun Mar 17 2002 - 09:55:19 EST

    On Sun, 2002-03-17 at 01:24, Andrzej Pruszynski wrote:
    > As you know the only English version of GNU GPL is officially valid.
    > But when I am starting an instalation of AbiWord i have to agree with...
    > what? ...
    With nothing.

    > 1. Please do not force people to sign abra-cadabra (and help them if they
    > don't know English).

    No one has to sign anything.

    The GNU GPL is an unilateral grant of 4 freedoms provided that if you
    redistribute copies or modifications, you must release them under the
    GNU GPL as well.

    There is no need to sign anything.

    > 2. GNU GPL is a beautiful document. It's usefull and worthy to spread it in
    > more languages.

    Yes. Thus pointing to the official site for the unofficial translations.

    > If you have doubts I will add one question for clearance:
    > *IS* AbiWord for everyone?

    Is the air we breath for everyone? Sure. Do you have to know it's
    composes of about 70% N and 30% of other mixed gases and particles
    (including O)?

    If you want to know, you go read the documentation.

    README says that AbiWord is released under the GNU GPL version 2 or
    later, which can be found at file something. It can also point to the
    url for other translations, but we should only include what is official.

    Thus the license, and a pointer to the official unnoficial translations
    ;)

    I'm not against including them, but I don't think that, they not being
    valid, we gain anything more than with pointing to the url.

    By your logic, maybe ALL DOCUMENTS should be translated into all
    languages. Sure. Maybe. What about the languages for which there are no
    translations? Is AbiWord not for them? No. Your logic is flawed, though
    carried with good intentions.

    Just that.

    Hugs, rms

    + So let's do it...?