Re: GNU license

From: Pierre Abbat (phma@webjockey.net)
Date: Sun Mar 17 2002 - 02:10:54 GMT

    On Saturday 16 March 2002 20:51, Masayuki Hatta wrote:

    > > 1. Please do not force people to sign abra-cadabra (and help them if they
    > > don't know English).
    >
    > Imagine if the translation is wrong, mistranslated. It would be more
    > serious problem for users.
    >
    > > 2. GNU GPL is a beautiful document. It's usefull and worthy to spread it
    > > in more languages.
    >
    > Yes, so FSF offers URLs to "unofficial" translations. But GPL is also
    > a strict legal document, there should be no room for misunderstanding.

    I suggest putting the English and the translation side by side. Then the user
    has something he can understand, as well as the English version that has
    legal force.

    It's like the Bible: I read in Leviticus 11 that I must not eat the eagle,
    the vulture, or the black vulture, but I know that it is the Hebrew that has
    legal force, and it says not to eat the nesher, the peres, or the aznia.

    phma