scrapping GTK build ? (was: Re: [AbiCalc] Spreadsheet proposal)

From: Hubert Figuiere (hfiguiere@teaser.fr)
Date: Mon Mar 25 2002 - 12:47:52 EST

    On Mon, 2002-03-25 at 18:24, John L. Clark wrote:
    > On Mon, Mar 25, 2002 at 04:49:47PM +0000, Rui Miguel Silva Seabra wrote:
    > > imho, we should drop wholly the gtk+ only build. However, I can
    > > understand some people want to use gtk+ and no gnome in some situations.
    >
    > However much I doubt that this will happen, I have to definitely give
    > this a -1 (for my vote). At the /very least/ I rely on the gtk+ only
    > builds, and I think there are a lot of people who don't want/need the
    > additional gnome stuff. It annoys me to no end that gnumeric has all
    > that stuff built in, and the build procedure to get it out is highly
    > nontrivial, if even possible with later versions.
    >
    > Out of curiousity, why would you be interested in scrapping the gtk+
    > only build?

    I'm also strongly opposed to scrapping the GTK build. Solely because
    currently it allows AbiWord to run on several UNIX system were GNOME is
    not provided in the standard set or simply not even ported.

    GTK portability accross UNIX system is much higher than GNOME.
    Let's keep both in a good and friendly cooperation.

    Hub