Re: A new start? [Re: Alan's excellent idea]

From: Alan Horkan (horkana@tcd.ie)
Date: Mon Mar 25 2002 - 14:30:08 EST

    Safe programming languages

    I will not be touching C# with a barge pole. The language may be safe but
    that does not mean it is safe from Microsoft Embrace and extend tactics.

    I have more interest in the Gnu Java Compiler gjc
    http://gcc.gnu.org/java/
    I will compile java to native Linux binaries.

    (definately does not do AWT and does not do win32 binaries as far as i
    know but cygwin maybe ... final year project hmm ... click whirr ... penny
    dropping).

    Migrating the abiword framework towards wxwindows2 as has been previously
    suggested (and people seemed to think it was a good idea) might be a more
    realistic short/medium term goal.

    I know C++ has automatic garbage collection in some form or another,
    not that I've used it. There are ways to program more safely

    i would rather not engage in a lengthy discussion on the merits of various
    programming languages and toolkits, but unless someone (like Ximian) want
    to pony up the necessary cash and developers i will bet you a major change
    like that wont happen in Abiword

    Dont underestimate Intertia.

    Later
    Alan Horkan