Re: A new start? [Re: Alan's excellent idea]

From: Paolo Molaro (lupus@debian.org)
Date: Mon Mar 25 2002 - 14:39:08 EST

    On 03/25/02 Dom Lachowicz wrote:
    > > > language features that BOTH C++ and C# offer.
    > >
    > > Care to name a C# feature we don't support (or we don't plan to
    > > support)? Actually, the runtime supports more features than C# the
    > > language offers. But, yes, we are not done yet, we know that.
    >
    > I never said that you didn't or won't. You need to go reread what I
    > wrote with a cool head, lupus. I said that Evolution was programmed
    > using C with the GObject/GTKObject system instead of a language like C++
    > or C# or Java and the Evolution's programming time would have been
    > lower, probably, if they had used C#, C++, etc... If that much was
    > unclear, I'm sorry.

    Oh, it seemed to imply that that was how mono works (and it works that way
    under the hood, like any other object system does): if that is the case, I
    apologise for over-reacting.
    Anyway, a runtime like the CLR doesn't get you only that: it gives you
    garbage collection, automatic async invocation of methods and it lets you
    plug-in components seamlessly. That is what enhances productivity a lot.

    lupus

    lupus@debian.org                                     debian/rules
    lupus@ximian.com                             Monkeys do it better