Re: A new start? [Re: Alan's excellent idea]

From: Mike Nordell (tamlin@algonet.se)
Date: Mon Mar 25 2002 - 15:18:53 EST

    Sorry for snipping a bit out of context, I hope it comes out as intended
    anyway.

    Dom wrote:
    > The important part is to use the correct tool
    > for the job, and I've seen NO argument (viable and substantiated,
    > anyway) for either keeping C++ or moving to another language,
    > interpreted or otherwise.

    A few arguments in favor of C++ could be:

    - Out of all promised "silver bullets" I've seen come and go, C++ is one of
    the few that is alive and still growing (even that it's obviously no "silver
    bullet").
    - The ISO/ANSI standard that promises stability of the core language.
    - No need for a VM that often slows down the app and always adds to the d/l
    size. For a hightly interactive program, (display) speed is of the essence.
    - C and C++ are AFAIK the two most used and known languages by developers,
    why there is often no need to learn a new language to be able to
    participate.
    - Compilers are widely available (where for e.g. C# they are not).
    - There is a huge base of free resources available for C++ (libraries,
    articles, knowledge ...). Often some libraries are already known by at least
    some of the developers on a project, cutting development time.
    - Last, but not least: There is no interface mismatch between app. code and
    OS code.

    Re. C# :
    As for Microsoft releasing a specification to ECMA for "standardization",
    it's quite well documented how hight MS regards, and acts to break,
    "standards".

    My $2*10^-2

    /Mike