Re: A new start? [Re: Alan's excellent idea]

From: Dom Lachowicz (doml@appligent.com)
Date: Mon Mar 25 2002 - 13:58:25 EST

    > > FWIW, C# or Java isn't going to be much better. In fact, no programming
    > > language is a godsend and will make all of our work easy and make all of
    > > our bugs go away. Mono will be better for Evolution, probably, but you
    > > have to consider that these guys are using a self-created object
    > > heirarchy based on C and structs-as-vtables, without many of the
    >
    > FYI C++ works in the same way, with structs as vtables, only you
    > didn't check a C++ compiler sources to see how it works.

    I know very well how C++ implements this, and have implemented it
    myself, in fact. I'm just saying that with GObject (or GTKObject) you
    have to do this manually (and then you don't need to give a hoot how it
    works under the hood, becuase it JUST WORKS and is all done FOR YOU BY A
    TOOL).

    struct _myObject
    {

    };

    struct _myObjectsClass
    {

    }

    #define MY_OBJECT(x) GTK_CHECK_TYPE_CAST()
    #define iS_MY_OBJECT(x) GTK_IS ( GTK_CHECK_TYPE ( x, GTK_TYPE_XYX ) )

    YUCK!

    > > language features that BOTH C++ and C# offer.
    >
    > Care to name a C# feature we don't support (or we don't plan to
    > support)? Actually, the runtime supports more features than C# the
    > language offers. But, yes, we are not done yet, we know that.

    I never said that you didn't or won't. You need to go reread what I
    wrote with a cool head, lupus. I said that Evolution was programmed
    using C with the GObject/GTKObject system instead of a language like C++
    or C# or Java and the Evolution's programming time would have been
    lower, probably, if they had used C#, C++, etc... If that much was
    unclear, I'm sorry.

    Dom