Re: [AbiCalc] Spreadsheet proposal

From: Alan Horkan (horkana@tcd.ie)
Date: Mon Mar 25 2002 - 14:55:58 EST

    On 25 Mar 2002, Rui Miguel Silva Seabra wrote:

    > On Sun, 2002-03-24 at 20:35, Alan Horkan wrote:
    > > I find it rude and insulting that you think I was ignorant of other
    > > the wealth of other obvious solutions.
    >
    > Damn, I never thought that, I asked why not use them.
    > There was not intention of either rudeness or insult in my question.

    Belligerant, arguementative, difficult. And you have done it again in
    this mail (i will point out a specific example below)

    It is hard to dicuss without descending into an arguement but if you
    choose you words carefully it is possible.

    > I find extremely annoying the existance of windows. With it millions of
    > users that know zip shit about what they are doing (even sysadmins)
    > bring doom to our ages and their collateral damage even awakes me up in
    > the middle of the night because of problems I have nothing to do with.

    Dont take out your frustration on me.

    There are more windows users than there are anything other type of
    computer users. There are more people who have never used computers than
    there are people who have.
    The sooner we as computer users learn to accept that and learn to deal
    with users the better it will be for the whole of civilistion. (okay so
    that is a bit over the top but please dont nit pick)

    Many people cannot mentally grasp the logical step by step scientific
    logical way of thinking, in any science not just computing.

    (i know programming can be artistic and creative but that is the exception
    rather than the rule)

    > Only we have to get a work around (that we wouldn't have to if there
    > wasn't that horrid platform out there).

    Legacy systems will be around for a long time. Inertia is huge.
    Some developers still have to deal with EBCDIC let alone ASCII.

    Being just as good is not reason enough for me to change operating system.
    In fact the biggest competitor to Windows XP is all the older versions of
    windows. Although i do dual boot windows and linux.

    > > You never know it may produce useful ideas towards how tables are
    > > implemented in Abiword. It may have serve as a fast prototype to be
    > > junked once it has served it short term purpose.
    >
    > Tables (as in a word processor) have a bahaviour that's not like tables
    > on a spreadsheet.

    That depends, tables embedded as objects ole/bonobo etc, html tables,
    desktop publishing tables and frames. The implementation may be
    substantially different but the taskt the users is trying to accomplish is
    what is important.

    > > If it does not run on at least Windows and Linux then it is useless to me
    > > as I expect to be using both Operating systems for the years to come. I
    > > have paid for windows and there is no way I am throwing it away, even the
    > > hassle of upgrading to linux is barely worth it. I used windows 2000 for
    > > about a week before switching back to Windows 98, so my inertia is huge.
    >
    > Then it's your mistake, right? Shouldn't you, as a costumer, demand Bill
    > that you should be able to do that? He has dedicated emplyees....

    My mistake! Do realise how offensive you are being. I have paid the
    Microsoft tax, and I am making the best of it.

    Microsoft have no interest in cross platform developement that would
    include Linux. That is a ridiculous suggestion.

    I made a proposal. I offered a small incentive.
    You were not interested, if you cannot say something helpful then please
    keep your criticism to yourself.

    > Great. gnumeric is awsome, it would be very nice if it could become xp.
    > I've seen posts on dia, which is also xp although I do not know what
    > their strategy is, from you. Why not RFE'ing on gnumeric about that?

    cross platform is good
    gtk ports to windows is fairly good too.
    I may enquire with the Gnumeric list at a later date, but I dont know
    anyone on that list or if they would be even remotely receptive to the
    idea.

    > > > processor that can compare itself at the technical level of LaTeX. Not
    > I don't think that reading just one side of an opinion is more helpfull
    > than also reading other sides.
    >
    > > > Peace... rms
    > > you argue and complain and then you use an overly informal and friendly
    > > way to end your message.
    >
    > That's because I'm arguing, not fighting. There's distinct differences
    > in both situations.
    >
    > > how about "Yours Sincerely" or even better the Portuguese equivalent.
    >
    > And please, refrain yourself from teatching others how to express
    > themselves, ok?

    I was annoyed and i admit that was a petty remark but

    Dont criticise me if you cannot be more productive in your criticisms.

    > > I took a long time to carefully consider this reply. I rewrote and
    > > re-read it several times and I still feel insulted and annoyed.
    >
    > Then lighten up, go drink a pint of guiness (excellent beer). There was
    > no insult intended, I repeat.
    >
    > A huge friendly hug, Rui

    dont touch me.

    I wont continue this discussion any further.

    Sincerely
    Alan