Re: [AbiCalc] Spreadsheet proposal

From: Jonathan Blandford (jrb@redhat.com)
Date: Mon Mar 25 2002 - 23:28:28 EST

    Alan Horkan <horkana@tcd.ie> writes:

    > You should re-read my earlier messages.
    >

    > On Mon, 25 Mar 2002, Petr Tomasek wrote:
    >
    > > On Mon, Mar 25, 2002 at 04:14:08PM +0000, Alan Horkan wrote:
    > > >
    > > > I like Gnome, i use Gnome on Linux and FreeBSD
    > > > but i also use Windows98 and i dont consider installing an xserver and the
    > > > whole Gnome desktop appropriate or even easy just for one or two
    > > > applications.
    > >
    > > Why to use xserver? Since we now have gtk-2.0 more or less xp,
    >
    > i was under the impression that gtk-2.0 was not going to be available on
    > windows for quite a while.

    GTK 2 is already available on windows to a much greater extent than
    before. It's not an official locked down release, as there's still some
    instability in the code base, but the API is basically fixed, and it'll
    be done on a time scale much faster than writing a spreadsheet/wp will
    be.

    [ For what it's worth, the platform-independent spreadsheet code in
      gnumeric is much larger than the gnome-specific code there. There
      just isn't a lot of it. With gnumeric 2.0, there's even less 'gnome'
      code. Porting gnumeric to windows is certainly a much easier task
      than writing a spreadsheet from scratch. Free software has never been
      much about 'easier', though. (-: ]

    Thanks,
    -Jonathan