Re: [AbiCalc] Spreadsheet proposal

From: Alan Horkan (horkana@tcd.ie)
Date: Tue Mar 26 2002 - 09:29:30 EST

    This is getting really offtopic so i will try not to drag this out any
    further.

    On 25 Mar 2002, Jonathan Blandford wrote:

    > Alan Horkan <horkana@tcd.ie> writes:
    >
    > > You should re-read my earlier messages.

    > GTK 2 is already available on windows to a much greater extent than
    > before. It's not an official locked down release, as there's still some
    > instability in the code base, but the API is basically fixed, and it'll
    > be done on a time scale much faster than writing a spreadsheet/wp will
    > be.

    That is good to know but again with reuse of code and the fact that i
    never said it had to be written from scratch (although i understand the
    unfortunate mentality of most programmers to reimplement the wheel).

    > [ For what it's worth, the platform-independent spreadsheet code in
    > gnumeric is much larger than the gnome-specific code there. There
    > just isn't a lot of it. With gnumeric 2.0, there's even less 'gnome'
    > code. Porting gnumeric to windows is certainly a much easier task
    > than writing a spreadsheet from scratch. Free software has never been
    > much about 'easier', though. (-: ]

    I was never aware of there being ANY developer interest in having Gnumeric
    run on Windows, i am used to hostility from Linux developers every time i
    want to run applications on both the operating systems i use (I am used to
    it, but i dont like it). I like to choose the application i use
    irrespective of what operating system i am using at the time. I may be
    using Linux over a remote connection from a windows box to send this mail
    but tomorrow i might be using BSD, or Mac or a different operating systems
    entirely. I hardly know what Operating System i will be using tomorrow,
    so i have no idea what Operting System i will be using in 5 years time.
    Cross platfrom software is another protection from vendor lock in and a
    freedom i value.

    > Thanks,
    > -Jonathan

    [please reply to me directly offlist
    You would not happen to know if Red Hat have any operations in Ireland? I
    think they have some sort of training and certification licensee in Cork
    but i am dont know any details and the web page only provides an
    address]

    Sincerely
    Alan Horkan

    Would love to get summer work with RedHat or Sun or any other company
    that gets Open Source.
    And as part of the Computer Science society, i would also love to get more
    of our University to use Linux.
    http://www.ducss.tcd.ie