OK, time to introduce myself to the list

From: Sam Trenholme (abiword_bugs@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Mar 29 2002 - 14:16:00 EST

    Hubert wrote:

    > > Let me start off by saying that I do feel it is
    > > somewhat unprofessional to stomp on Dom
    > Lachowicz's
    > > turf like this.

    I replied:

    > What is the problem ? I don't understand.

    I guess it is time for me to introduce myself. My
    name is Sam Trenholme and my personal domain is
    http://www.samiam.org/.

    On some of the jobs I worked at (back in the days when
    computer skills were actually worth something on the
    job market), that kind of behavior did have a way of
    pissing people off.

    In addition, I have been dealing with the likes of D*n
    B*rnst*en for too long. He had a hissy when I
    announced my DNS server project on Bugtraq, because he
    felt that it was now a competition to his DNS server
    project, even after I went out of my way to support
    him on the Namedroppers mailing list when no one else
    was supporting him.

    Nice to see people here are more professional.

    I am helping a little with some of the bugs which
    annoy me while taking a bit of a break from my own DNS
    server project (http://www.maradns.org). If you want
    to see "bug fixing hell"; right now the major bug my
    project has is "after running a stress test on the
    server, it occassionally hangs". The tester can not
    even consistently reproduce the bug, and it is one I
    *have* to fix before 1.0.

    I use AbiWord mainly in two contexts: Writing
    documents which will probably eventally be printed and
    writing/editing Word documents to send to collegues.
    I write documents in two languages, English and
    Spanish. This is why the bugs I report involve
    problems with internationalization and Word document
    exporting.

    Just because I put a patch in the database does not
    mean I think that particular patch should be added to
    the AbiWord tree; I have received patches for my own
    project, and understand why most patches are patches
    which will not be added to AbiWord proper. I also
    understand why requests for AbiCalc and tables cause a
    collective groan from the developers.

    Anyway, good to be here, it certaintly is a much
    better way to spend my time than posting to and
    reading Slashdot (which I have given up cold turkey).
    I can't committ full time to this project, nor do I
    have the network resources to keep current with the
    CVS tree (dial-up hell, ugh), but I can send in some
    small patches for bugs; and make test cases which make
    it trivial for the developers to reproduce and test
    their fixes against the bugs in question.

    - Sam